Thursday, September 12, 2013

Let's put it in writing...

So, this blogging newbie is going to put it out there, in writing.....not necessarily good writing, but writing nonetheless! 
Before I write 'it', here's a little back story on me:

I'm a 31 year old Registered Veterinary Technician living in a small town just outside of Toronto, Ontario. My husband and I moved out here from the city a few years ago and haven't looked back! We've been married close to 4 years now and just welcomed our little girl, Nora, into our family this past February. It's been a crazy and amazing 7 months! I'm currently off on parental leave but will be returning to my job as a hospital manager at a Veterinary hospital sometime after Christmas. I'm extremely passionate about animals and their welfare and have been working in some area of this industry for the past 11 years (...yikes, doesn't feel that long!).

My other passions are cooking, relaxing with my friends and family, football (go Pats!), the environment, wine (oh the wine...), fashion, and good food (oh god the food!!!). I lead a very busy life but it's definitely a happy one! I try to take each day at a time and make an effort to have a cheerful and positive outlook on life.

For as long as I can remember I've had a sort of an obsession with my weight and wanting to be 'healthy'- AKA skinny. For years I yo-yo'd up and down and, like so many others, tried my fair share of quick-fix diets (cookie diet, shakes, etc).
A couple years ago, I met a woman named Carrie Burrows who changed the way I think about health, fitness, and food altogether. She's an amazing woman who owns and operates her own health and fitness company and bootcamp (check her out here). With her help, I started to think about what I was eating in terms of what it did for my body, not how many calories it had. I began to see the value in being strong and fit as opposed to skinny and the value in REAL food, as opposed to ultra low fat, low calorie, super chemical-ized products which had been a large part of my everyday diet in the past.
Sure, I've had my share of setbacks over the last couple years, but in general I believe I'm on the right path to living a healthy life. Having a child did a number on my core strength and ability to exercise as I had before. Since becoming a mother, I've definitely been a slacker in terms of healthy eating and exercise.

So my friends, it's time to get back on that horse, stay on the wagon, and any other cliche phrase to that effect.

So here IT is, my lofty fitness goal: 

I've entered the 2014 Disney Princess Half-Marathon which takes place this coming February. I've got a lot of work to do to reach this goal. Not only am I committed to finishing this race, I am committed to creating and maintaining healthy eating habits starting NOW. 

I expect to have some hard times along the way and I know it won't be easy. However, I know it will be worth it and I plan on having a blast getting there and chronicling my journey! Thanks for joining me :)

Cheers!
Allison









No comments:

Post a Comment